Though the majority of us try our best to take care of our teeth and gums, we often get into bad habits that we either weren’t aware were a problem or got just a little bit lazy about fixing. These oral health missteps can, however, lead to bigger dental issues however and leave us with the consequences of unhealthy teeth and gums. Avoid these oral care mistakes for overall better dental health:
- Brushing before breakfast. If you perform your morning routine of brushing rinsing and flossing before you eat, you’re pretty much nullifying any good you just did. Eat first, then thoroughly clean.
- Never changing your toothbrush. Bristles wear out and stop doing their job effectively. They also get loaded with harmful bacteria that is not easily washed away. Do yourself a favor and invest in a new toothbrush every three months.
- Brushing too hard and too often. Scrubbing your teeth won’t get them any cleaner and you’re doing more harm than good by damaging tooth enamel and gum tissue. Be conscientious about just how hard you’re brushing and ease up.
- Ignoring bleeding gums. Gingivitis is a real problem that causes gum and tooth loss. Make sure to get to the dentist if your gums bleed while brushing and flossing.
- Chewing on ice. Ice can cause microscopic fractures in the tooth enamel which, over time, can wear down your teeth and even cause a tooth to break.
Of course, one of the worst oral health mistakes people make is not visiting their dentist often enough. As a top-rated local® dentist in Eagan, we take the oral health of our patients very seriously and strive to make sure that each and every one of them have a reason to smile.